I noticed that my kid's toothpaste actually has artificial sweeteners in it... Is that bad for kids? Why would they do that?

Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No

Is not bad for the kids but if it is something that concerns you there are companies like tom's of maine that makes toothpaste without sweetener.

In brief: No

Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dr. Gilberto Nunez
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
We have recommended the use of Tom's of Maine for many years. I use it for my son, as well. Great recommendation, Dr. Nunez.
Dr. Rod Zimmerman
Dentistry

In brief: No

Artificial sweeteners are approved by the fda.
There are used to make the product taste better, and hence will be more likely to brush their teeth.

In brief: No

Dr. Rod Zimmerman
Dr. Rod Zimmerman
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Switch

You can switch to other brands.

In brief: Switch

You can switch to other brands.
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Flavor

Toothpaste is designed to assist with brushing to remove noxious material from the teeth and interspaces.
Artificial sweeteners are used to improve the flavor/tolerability. The amount is small per brushing and it would be counterintuitive to in fact use sugar as a sweetener for toothpaste. Don't worry about the small dose.

In brief: Flavor

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
David Miller

In brief: Fewer cavities

Bacteria grow and damage your teeth. Therefore, artificial sweeteners make kids' toothpaste taste good without causing cavities.

In brief: Fewer cavities

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
David Miller
You're welcome!
Dr. Cindy Juster