Can the hives be caused by stress or anxiety. Have it on my neck, chest, back and ears. Never had this before. No new things that would be allergic to?

David Miller

Idiopathic urticaria (hives for no readily-identifiable reason) can be brought on by stress, anxiety and a variety of other things.
First-line treatment is antihistamines. You might try a combination of either Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or Claritin (h1 blockers) with either tagamet or Zantac (h2 blockers). You should also see a doc for a thorough evaluation and other treatment options.

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
2 comments
David Miller
No problem. I hope this gets better for you. It sounds like no fun!
David Miller
Post traumatic stress disorder is not unheard of in situations like this. It might be worth your time to seek out some professional counseling to help you through this rough patch. Lots of prayer and support wouldn't hurt either. My prayers are certainly with you.
Dr. Joel Selter
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: Hives

Hives can surely be brought out by stress or other anxiety provoking triggers.
I try not to blame stress as the culprit unless I have thoroughly evaluated the patient and ruled out other causes.

In brief: Hives

Dr. Joel Selter
Dr. Joel Selter
Dr. Martin Raff
Urticaria (hives) can be brought on predominantly by allergies, but there are some infections in which it is a manifestation. Unusual to be due to stress. Too many things to rule out first before implicating anxiety as an etiology.
Dr. Lisa Kates
Dermatology

In brief: Hives

The most common causes of acute urticaria/hives are medications and infections.
Of the medication causes antibiotics are the most common culprits and of the infections, viruses are most common. If it persists you most certainly need to see a physician for a complete work up.

In brief: Hives

Dr. Lisa Kates
Dr. Lisa Kates