In an AC joint injury, what differentiates between a grade two and grade three tear. Does taping help in positioning the clavicle for better healing?

Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: AC joints.

Grade 2 involves minimal separation of the clavicle from the acromion.
A grade 3 represents %100 or more, displacement of the clavicle from the scapula. Taping is not helpful. Usually treatment in a sling is sufficient.

In brief: AC joints.

Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Herman Hammerstead
Also a figure "8" shoulder brace is helpful
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: AC separation

Type ii and iii are differentiated using x-ray.
In type ii, there is still some bone contact between clavicle and acromion, whereas type iii is characterized by complete separation between the bones. Type iii is a more significant injury, resulting in a significant deformity. Taping does not change the outcome.

In brief: AC separation

Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me explain

Type i, type ii, type iii, type iv, type v, type vi.
There six types. The difference is the seperation, how much of legmenet injury, that will decide the treatment of choice, I do not think the tapping helps. Thank for question, i hope that help you.

In brief: Let me explain

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery