I weigh 260, if I get down below 200 will my diabetes go away?

Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: It can
Those who are overweight and have diabetes can have significant improvement if they lose the weight (or even have it go away).
For each person the amount of weight they need to lose is different. But definitely go for it! 60 pounds is a great goal. Losing that weight will also significantly improve your sleep.

In brief: It can
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Not exactly
Losing weight will improve your diabetic control & may eliminate the need for medications, but the underlying problems will still exist.
I often use the analogy of the recovered alcoholic. You can be sober for 15 years, you're still a recovered alcoholic & can't drink. If youre able to get your sugars normal, you're a diet controlled diabetic, but you're still a diabetic & you have to eat like one.

In brief: Not exactly
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Adam Smith