My 18 yr old daughter is thin, exercises and has a healthy diet. Her LDL is at 143. Positive family history. What can she do now to lower ldl?

Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: See below.

I agree with dr. Diamond but would also suggest working with a nutritionist -- often they can suggest ways to cut sources of fat and cholesterol in her diet that you and your daughter may not have thought of.

In brief: See below.

Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
2 comments
Dr. Cindy Juster
I'm happy to help!
Dr. Jay Park
I agree with Dr. Juster that input from nutritionist would be of much help. Your daughter's LDL level is not high enough to warrant drug therapy.
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Not many good answer

Excercise is helpful, as is a low fat diet.
Supplements such as fish oil may help. There are unfortunately genetics conditions where the body does metabolize the fatty material well , leading to elevated levels.Medication may be a needed, last resort.

In brief: Not many good answer

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine