I just my bloodwork back and my iron level is double what it should be. What causes this and what are the dangers?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Hemochromatosis?

One concern is excessive iron on the liver which is common in hemochromatosis.
Other conditions may also elevate serum iron concentration and transferrin saturation, particularly the recent ingestion of medicinal iron or iron-fortified vitamin preparations, or oral contraceptives. Therefore, if the transferrin saturation is elevated, the test should be repeated after eliminating such confounding v.

In brief: Hemochromatosis?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Hemochromatosis?

This is a genetic condition in which your body accumulates iron.
..It absorbs iron from your daily intake well and stores it. It typically present earlier in men...Beause females of reproductive years lose some iron monthly during their menstrual flow (period). Treatment is simple--reduce iron/donate blood etc...But first you should have the test confirmed..Check with your doc...

In brief: Hemochromatosis?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Steven Seres