I'm in the process of taking a radioactive iodine pill for a 1-123 thyroid uptake scan, will smoking pot affect the results?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: No

No effect on result of the scan.

In brief: No

No effect on result of the scan.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Luke Bolek
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Unlikely

Unless the strain of cannabis contains Iodine, it is unlikely to effect the thyroid uptake and scan results.
The Thyroid scan is based on how much iodine your blood stream absorbs from the intestines.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Luke Bolek
Dr. Luke Bolek
Dr. Thomas Heston

In brief: Not much

Avoid consumption of iodine (e.
g. Seafood, iodinated salt, milk). Smoking should not directly interfere with radioiodine uptake by the thyroid, although you should stop smoking anything for your overall health.

In brief: Not much

Avoid consumption of iodine (e.
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Robert Carroll
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: LIMITED DATA

Thc, one of marijuana’s active ingredients, depresses the function of the thyroid gland.
Animal models have demonstrated that cannabinoid administration acutely alters multiple hormonal systems, including the suppression of the gonadal steroids, growth hormone, prolactin, and thyroid hormone and the activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Talk with your doctor.

In brief: LIMITED DATA

Dr. Robert Carroll
Dr. Robert Carroll
Dr. Karl Spector
Addiction Medicine

In brief: No, it shouldn't.

No, smoking marijuana should not effect the results of the thyroid scan.
Being a huge ravens fan myself, i hope everything goes well for you.

In brief: No, it shouldn't.

Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Adam Smith