Are too much carbohydrates bad for you? White bread, pasta, potatoes. Do i need to keep them in my diet to maintain a healthy weight or to lose weight

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: YES!

The key to losing weight is to eat less, but not all calories are created equal.
Sugars & simple carbs from grains esp cause weight gain. I like dr. Furhman's diet: www.Drfuhrman.Com/library/foodpyramid.Aspx dr. Weil has useful info: www.Huffingtonpost.Com/andrew-weil-md/carbohydrates-weight-loss_b_1937312.Html- see his "discuss that" link in his article. Exercise is also important. See comment:.

In brief: YES!

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
The problem is not so much carbohydrates per se but a particular type of carb, sugar and starches, found in breads, pasta and potatoes. Carbs in vegetables and less-starchy fruits (like berries and apples, not bananas) are beneficial. See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/riva-greenberg/carbs-fat_b_2885211.html for more info.
Dr. Steven Seres