For a person on cholesterol medications, some doctors recommend CoQ10 to prevent muscle aches, while others recommend CoQ10 only after muscle aches begin. What should be the best practice?

CoQ-10. Many docs feel there is no need to supplement coq-10 (which is decreased by statins & other commonly used meds like beta blockers); others feel preventive supplementation is the way to go. One difficulty is timing the doses of statin & coq-10 so they have the least interaction. There is anecdotal evidence that coq-10 can prevent, or at least lessen the effects of statins on muscles.—>.
CoQ10. Usually given after a person developes muscle aches to see if it will help. Expensive drug for over the counter.
No solid data. Either way, regardless of when or what dose, there is no good or consistent data that indicates that it works.
Co Q 10. I generally prescribe it to my patients if they have muscle aches with statins and it generally helps half of them. I do not prescribeco q 10 if they do not have this problem in order to avoid one more medicine and added expense. Contrary to popular belief there is no good evidence that co q 10 is otherwise helpful in making the heart strong etc.