If I don't know my family medical history, what is the best time to begin having mammograms?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Age Forty
There is currently a debate whether to begin mammography at 40 or 50.
The controversy is that, in order for a screening test to prove beneficial, it has to decrease the mortality rate of those that have the test. While mammograms conclusively diagnose breast cancers earlier beginning at age 40, the mortality rates are less clear. When weighing the pro's and con's, I am a strong proponent.

In brief: Age Forty
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Most recommendations are for a baseline mammogram between the ages of 35 and 40, with annual screening mammograms after the age of 40.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology
In brief: Mammo
According to the American Cancer Society, American College of Radiology, and others, annual screening mammography should begin at age 40.
Screening may begin sooner if you are a BRCA carrier or are otherwise at high risk. If you don't know your family history, probably should treat yourself as average risk and start at 40.

In brief: Mammo
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Eric Brown
Breast Surgery
In brief: 40
At this time screening, yearly mammograms should begin at age 40 years.
If there is a first degree family history, risk assessment is important. The screening mammogram controversy emphasizes the need for individualized care, rather than making blanket recommendations..

In brief: 40
Dr. Eric Brown
Dr. Eric Brown
Dr. Jane Van Dis