After having cataract surgery, I now have a large "floater" which came from the back of my eye. It is blocking part of my vision. What can be done?

Dr. Harris Cohen
In brief: Call
Call the physician who performed the cataract procedure immediately!

In brief: Call
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Mike Bowman
especially if your surgery was recent
Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology
In brief: Surgery how long ago
Vitreous floaters can occur after cataract surgery.
It can be an emergency if there is new onset multiple floaters associated with little lightning bolts in your vision, and a shade or curtain coming over. A single floater that moves when looking around may be nothing dangerous, but the retina should be checked our first.

In brief: Surgery how long ago
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology
In brief: Floater-ectomy!
There are surgeons in this country who will do surgery to remove floaters, but they usually wait up to a year before offering surgery.
This is because the floater-ectomy can cause floaters. Usually the floater must be constant, and in the center of vision. I also agree that if it is new, it should be examined by your cataract surgeon.

In brief: Floater-ectomy!
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Floaters
Floaters are common after surgery and your brain will ignore them with time.
It is rare for floaters to block vision so i would see your eye doctor to rule out other issues.

In brief: Floaters
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. William Dieck
Ophthalmology
In brief: Need examination
Many time floaters that are seen post cataract surgery are old floaters casting a new denser shadow in the back of the eye due to the clear leans implant.
It is very important, however , to have the eye examined to determine that the floater is not a symptom of a retinal tear or detachment. See your ophthalmologist.

In brief: Need examination
Dr. William Dieck
Dr. William Dieck
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology
In brief: Examination
The most likely cause of the floater is a blurred area of vitreous (jelly of the eye) floating in front of the macula.
You should be examined. If it is a jelly floater with no other problems, i recommend waiting for at least a year. If it does not resolve and affects you activities of daily living (very symptomatic) they you should consult with a retina specialist to discuss vitrectomy.

In brief: Examination
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery