Psa up from 7 (avg.) to 11 on consecutive tests. Fpsa estimated at <10%. Two negative biopsies (2005 & 2009). Prostate @68g & bph. Now what?

Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Elevated PSA
Now the specialists may disagree, but my advice as a family physician is that the most common cause of mildly elevated psa is benign prostatic hypertrophy.
In 2011 the United States preventive services task force advocated against any kind of routine psa screening. With 2 negative biopsies, i wouldn't do anything more than check your psa once a year and see a urologist if it goes over 20.

In brief: Elevated PSA
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Not an easy answer
This is a controversial area.
Making the diagnosis of ca of prostate is one thing and treatment another. The aggressiveness of the pursuit is dependent on the patient. In an octogenarian or a patient with extensive co- morbidities treatment is unlikely to result in survival benefit and is associated with it's own set of issues. With two negative biopsies we are not dealing with high volume disease.

In brief: Not an easy answer
This is a controversial area.
Dr. Andrew McCullough
Dr. Andrew McCullough
2 comments
Dr. George Klauber
Agree with Dr. McCullough. I would not undergo any type of treatment if this was me unless I was symptomatic. Would settle for a simple transurethral resection if I had obstructive symptoms. Unlikely that you will die from prostate cancer, but like most men, you will succumb to other causes!
Dr. Michael Michaels
This patient is 60 years old and the last biopsy was 5 years ago.
In brief: See below
You are under urologist(you say prostate is 68cc-not grams-& had biopsies2Xs tells me you are under urol.
care)care.If the free PSA is less than 10% the statistical probability of prostate ca.is 55%.Your last biopsy was 2009.You say BPH tells me no nodules are felt.You are only 60yrs.old.If you are in good health and were my pt. I would do what we call a 12 segment biopsy.Talk to yr.urol.Good luck

In brief: See below
Dr. Michael Michaels
Dr. Michael Michaels
Dr. Andrea Brand