What does it mean when I feel a knot in my chest through my back every night and it hurts when I breathe?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Lots of things

For any particular symptom like this it can mean so many different things that you really need to see a doctor in person to be evaluated properly.

In brief: Lots of things

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Louise Andrew
This is especially true if you are over about 50, Bess. It could be very dangerous not to get help with it.
Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Considerations...?

Your pain may originate on either side of the diaphragm to produce your symptoms.
Cough (dry or productive, with blood?), pleurisy, fever, nausea, vomiting, altered stool pattern, blood with stool, tenderness, distension? Do the symptoms "refer"elsewhere (to back, shoulders, chest, neck, jaw, arms)? Recent trauma, herniations? What is your age, gender, do you smoke, have heart/lung issues, stones?

In brief: Considerations...?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology