I take Tums (calcium carbonate) every night for acid reflux.....Would it be better to have an operation? Omeprazole causes pain to my hips.

Dr. Julie Stevens

In brief: Go to your Doctor

Chronic reflux is not normal but does not mean you need surgery right away.
Adjusting your diet and lifestyle is key. Surgery is usually the last option. If all you have done is take over the counter medications then it is time to get to your doctor and likely a scope of your esophagus and stomach will be recommended. Long term untreated reflux can lead to cancer in the esophagus. Get evaluated.

In brief: Go to your Doctor

Dr. Julie Stevens
Dr. Julie Stevens
Dr. Katharine Garnier
I agree, you need further evaluation, and just because omeprazole bothers you hips, there are other medications in the same class, or others, that might help you without side effects!
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: Last resort

Lifestyle management is key.
Keep a food diary and see what triggers. Another class of drug are h2 blockers like pepcid (famotidine). May also need endoscopy and/or x-ray studies. If all you've tried so far is otc meds, see your doc for more workup.

In brief: Last resort

Lifestyle management is key.
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Francine Yep

In brief: Check causes

Agree with dr. S and dr. M about checking lifestyle factors before surgery.
Also check for h. Pylori, a germ that can turn on the acid tap in your stomach. If you have h. Pylori and are treated, then sometimes this helps burning acid reflux that won't go away. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon!

In brief: Check causes

Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery