How do I know if I have ringworm? The last time I went they gave me something called"nystatin and triamcinole acetonide" what else can I use

Dr. Peter Corrado
In brief: Skin scraping
The most accurate diagnosis of ringworm would be skin scrapings with microscopic exam and culture for fungal agents.
However, the diagnosis is often made on the basis of history and physical exam. A better treatment than Nystatin would be 1% Clotrimazole cream applied twice daily. Diffuse cases may require oral therapy. Consider a dermatology eval if not already done.

In brief: Skin scraping
Dr. Peter Corrado
Dr. Peter Corrado
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: "ringworm"
"ringworm" is actually a skin fungus that has a ring-like appearance; as it grows outward, the margin is raised as if a worm were there & the central portion looks more normal.
It usually is scaly. Very contagious; can be picked up on gym mats, shared towels, pets, physical contact with others. Treatment is topical antifungal such as you were given (or lamasil, etc) & preventive measures. —>.

In brief: "ringworm"
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
—> persistence in treatment is essential: keep using the antifungal for at least a week after the lesion appears to have resolved, for deeper skin layer may still be involved
Dr. Adam Smith