Is it a good idea to discipline my baby?

In brief: No

The definition of discipline varies with each person in technique and purpose.
To me the term baby means a totaly dependent pre-toddler.While it is realistic to redirect infants, use body language, simple time out & basic communication to infer "no", the idea of punitive dicipline in this age group makes my skin crawl. Mobile todlers require more limit setting & are likely to understand it more.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Amster

Remember, discipline means teaching to your rules.
It is not "being punitive". That's key. Should you yell at, smack or punish your baby? No. That won't be effective. Should you discipline them? Sure. If they are doing behaviors that you want to encourage, then you should pay more attention. Early on, positive reinforcement works best. Later, time outs work as negative reinforcement.

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster