What chemicals are used in head lice treatments?

Incecticides. Permethrin or Malathion are the most common. They are insecticides with relatively low toxicity to humans compared with other insecticides. They are diluted as much as possible to remain effective against lice and mites, but decrease toxicity to us, compounded as lotions or shampoos, and used as medicines. Only use the prescribed form on hair or skin, never the full strength forms.
Head Lice Rx. Permethrin is the preferred first-line treatment for head lice. Permethrin 1% (nix) is available over the counter, and Permethrin 5% (elimite) is available by prescription.