What should I look out for on a day to day basis to ensure that I don't develop breast cancer?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine
In brief: No good answers
No one knows for sure what lifestyle activities decrease a woman's risk of breast cancer.
But regular exercise and avoiding alcohol seem to help. Regular exercise means doing about 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week of moderate-intensity activity like brisk walking, running, cycling, swimming, or dancing.

In brief: No good answers
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
3 comments
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
I agree. Early detection is possibly the best defense as there is no current recommendations for prophylaxis for the general population of women.Most recommendations for screening call for a baseline mammogram at age 35 and annual mammograms starting at the age of 40.
Dr. John Rimmer
You can consider your risks factors for getting breast cancer to work out whether you are normal risk ie 1 in 8 chance of getting breast cancer in which case you should have annual mammograms or higher risk in which case you should seek more surveillancemore close
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Early Diagnosis"key"
I agree with drs.
Greenhut and harris with respect to the benefit of a healthy lifestyle and performing self-examination. The only point i would add is the importance and underutilization of mammography. All women should begin getting mammograms at age 40, and yearly thereafter. Diagnosing breast cancer before it becomes palpable leads to the highest cure rates.

In brief: Early Diagnosis"key"
I agree with drs.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Renee Harris
In brief: Nothing daily
There are subtle changes that occur in the breasts with breast cancer.
Checking daily will not help pick these up. Examining your breast monthly about the same time in your cycle is the best way to find changes in your breasts that may be significant. I usually tell patients that "lumpy oatmeal" feeling is normal, but peas and marbles aren't.

In brief: Nothing daily
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Jane Van Dis