What's recommended as a cure for TMJ by yourself?

In brief: TX can vary

The cause of your tmj/tmd, if known and the duration of your problem, may dictate the treatment.
Often treatment for TMJ can vary from person to person and also may sometimes involve seeing other doctors. Physical therapy, tens, ultrasound therapy, exercises, and mouthpieces are the most standard types of treatment. You may need combinations of all.

In brief: TX can vary

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Marsha Davis
You prob can't by yourself. Don't chew I've, bite apples, chew chewy food etc will help a lot on your end.
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Might happen....

I have found few things cure themselves, especially joint problems.
Too many pieces involved to just spontaneously get better. We do know that TMJ symptoms will reduce with menopause in females as there is a strong hormonal component. Be careful about chewing difficult foods, nsaid's help. Good luck!

In brief: Might happen....

Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Cure it?

I am not sure the right word is cure it.
You can try warm moist heat compresses to the outside of your face just in front of your ears. Eat soft foods and avoid gum chewing. Take short term nsaids (if you can) such as advil, motin or aleve (naproxen). Strive for good posture. Try to do things that relieve daily stress. If that works, great! if not, you should see your dentist for an evaluation.

In brief: Cure it?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: A few things

Depends on symptoms, and cause of symptoms.
3 signs of TMJ dysfunction: joint noises, joint pain & limited oral opening. Self treat with soft diet, jaw exercises, massage, heat/cold, OTC pain meds. A splint or physical therapy would be next. Occasionally muscle relaxants, biofeedback. Xrays are done for diagnosis. Surgery usually reserved for serious symptoms not responsive to other treatments.

In brief: A few things

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia