Gastro doc suggested a hida scan if more abdoml pain. If I have "sand" in my gallbladder, would I have a harder time losing weight & lowering cholest?

Dr. Robert Stuart
In brief: No
Although bile is involved in digesting fats, having gallbladder disease does not make one gain weight or have high cholesterol.
In fact, if you have obstruction of bile flow you get diarrhea and weight loss. Those who are overweight do have a higher likelihood of developing gallbladder disease and there is also a genetic component.

In brief: No
Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: Not related
Sand or sludge in gall bladder forms from crystals and may come and go and may or may not form stones, if having pain in right upper quadrant of abdomen hida or biliary scan suggested.
Sludge is not related to losing weight or serum cholesterol.Incidental finding of sludge without symptoms does not mean surgery.

In brief: Not related
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery