Does a tooth infection cause heart problems or damage your valves?

Yes. In rare cases, infections of lower back teeth can allow spread of the infection down the neck, into the chest, and around the heart. This can be deadly. In a different way gum disease (which is an infection around the teeth) can affect the heart as it seeds the bloodstream with the bacteria that cause coronary artery disease--the main cause of heart attacks.
Endocarditis. Is a rare complication of bacteria affecting damaged, prosthetic or congenitally abnormal heart valves which is why antibiotic prophylaxis is sometimes indicated.