Can sweaty feet cause athletes foot?

Moisture and fungus. Sweaty feet are conducive to fungal growth. Both moisture and fungus are essential for athletes foot. Unfortunately the causative fungi are normally present in the environment. See this site for more info. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/athletes-foot/ds00317.
Sweaty feet. set up an environment that fungus likes. Fungus likes to live in dark, wet, regions. Hence, a sweaty foot in a sock, in a shoe is a dark, wet, environment which promotes fungal growth.
No. There must be fungus to cause a fungal infection. Sweat alone will not cause an infection. Sweaty feet however may provide the ideal environment for fungal growth.