Could you tell me what happens before surgery (scoliosis/spinal fusion)?

First, need to asses. Your medical status to optimize your outcome which will include a variety of medical tests. By not smoking 6 weeks before surgery you can significantly reduce complications if a smoker. Bathing with special soap preop can reduce risk of infection and being tested for staph with a nose culture. Eat well and avoid any blood thinning products. Be educated about post op course and surgery!
Preop for surgery. The process for getting ready for surgery is a quick and easy process. Lab values with a chest x-ray and possible ekg for a heart eval is usually required. A nurse will do a phone interview a day or two before to answer questions and make sure any significant medical conditions might increase the risk of anesthesia. The day on surgery will see an IV put in then to the or for a long nap.