Does taking prozac, (fluoxetine) lamictal, or ibuprofen increase chances of bruising? My friend is getting a lot more bruises on her legs than ever before.

Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: Meds n bruising

Of those 3, lam octal and Ibuprofen can.
If i had to pick one, it would be ibuprofen. Depending on dose and how long you've been on lamictal, i would definitely discuss it with your doctor. Simple labs can tell if Lamictal is affecting your blood counts and increasing your risk for bruising and or potentially bleeding.

In brief: Meds n bruising

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Bruising

Very possibly. Ibuprofen, like aspirin, interferes with normal blood platelet cell function and can lead to increased bruising.
Prozac (fluoxetine) is also associated with a much more mild bleeding effect. My suggestion would be to stop the Ibuprofen for several weeks and see if it improves.

In brief: Bruising

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Dheeraj Raina

In brief: Yes.

Ibuprofen is probably most likely to cause this s/e by preventing platelets (clot-promoting blood cells) from clumping together, though Prozac (fluoxetine) can also cause this s/e in a similar way.
Lamictal can rarely cause this s/e by a different and more serious mechanism, i.e. Reduction in number of platelets. Your friend needs to urgently speak to his/her doctor about this. Good luck to both of you.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine