I heard a loud crack, or pop from my ribs and now it hurts to breathe or cough. Should i go to the er?

Dr. Latonya Brown-Puryear
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Pleurisy

I would if the pain persists or if you develop shortness of breath just to be sure you do not have a spontaneous pneumothorax.

In brief: Pleurisy

Dr. Latonya Brown-Puryear
Dr. Latonya Brown-Puryear
Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Chostrochonditis?

Just distal 2 the red area is a joint where the rib ends & the cartilage bgins.
These could cause the pop due 2 a stress injury & resultant pain is from the inflammatory response. Check with a pulmonary specialist or chest surgeon 4 eval & care. Usually respond 2 ice, nsaids, activity modification. Also a rib support

In brief: Chostrochonditis?

Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine