Can post traumatic stress go away?

Dr. Shaayestah Merchant
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Possible

It is possible that with treatment someone who met diagnostic criteria for ptsd at one point in their lives can no longer meet the criteria at another point.
Thus they do not necessarily have a ptsd diagnosis. But one may still experience some post trauma symptoms which can well worked on in psychotherapy. Psychotropic medication might also be an option. Consult with a psychologist. Good luck!

In brief: Possible

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: PTSD

I want to add my two cents here.
Yes. I think patients need to know that there is hope and help and a solution. One cannot make the memories or experiences of our past go away. But, how we experience them in our memories can change and be redefined. Coping skills can be learned that are more effective at allowing a person to live with serenity despite this traumatic past.

In brief: PTSD

I want to add my two cents here.
Dr. Theresa Anderson-varney
Clinical Psychology

In brief: There is help

A person who has a diagnosis of ptsd would need to have psychological help in order to truly resolve the underlying issues driving the symptoms.
Without treatment there may be times when the symptoms are less or even seem to not be there, but it is unlikely that it would completely resolve without help.

In brief: There is help

In brief: In some milder cases

It may resolve without intervention.
In many cases it does resolve with intervention. There are however, many people with chronic, severe post traumatic stress disorder for whom a "cure" is not possible. In those cases the aim is for them to control their lives, rather the disease controlling it. It is about improved quality of life through treatment.

In brief: In some milder cases

It may resolve without intervention.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil