Upper left stomach pain I have GERD ulcer and hernia. Taking nexium (esomeprazole)?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: NEXIUM (esomeprazole) =GOOD
I assume you had a 'scope' (an egd) to diagnose the 'ulcer'.
An esophageal ulcer (gerd ulcer) and hiatal hernia can be painful conditions. Nexium (esomeprazole) is a powerful acid blocker (ppi) and an excellent choice to treat 'too much stomach acid.' lifestyle changes will also help: cut caffeine, alcohol and smoking. You need to be seen quickly if signs of bleeding: black stools/ vomiting 'coffee grounds'.

In brief: NEXIUM (esomeprazole) =GOOD
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. David Earle
Surgery
In brief: GERD
If you have damage to your esophagus from gerd, the encounters taken for 6-8 weeks should allow healing, but will not cure the reflux.
Gerd can be anatomically treated with endoscopic procedures and surgical procedures - both acceptable, but require testing to make sure you would be a candidate and the procedure could meet your goals. If the hiatal hernia is large, may need surgey.

In brief: GERD
Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery