Are pillows bad for your neck?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me help

You need a pillow to support your head.
If not, your neck will be straining all night. I guess if you feel more comfortable without one, than fine, but it's probably a bad idea.

In brief: Let me help

You need a pillow to support your head.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Could be.

We recommend using only enough pillows to maintain a neutral curvature of your neck.
Generally that requires not more than one or two pillows.

In brief: Could be.

Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: No

During an anesthetic we are very careful about positioning patients to avoid injury while they are stuck in one position.
Virtually everyone gets a pillow to keep the neck in neutral position. If you are a stomach sleeper, you may need one less. I've found that i grab, lose or fold my pillow as needed throughout the night.

In brief: No

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

No, not at all. Ideally the neck is kept in a relatively neutral position during sleep and pillows can potentially help do this.

In brief: No

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Marsha Davis