How do I know that it is a hydrocele and not testicular cancer?

Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: Get ultrasound

No reason there can't be both.
Hydrocele can make diagnosis by exam difficult. Ultrasound has minimal risk.

In brief: Get ultrasound

No reason there can't be both.
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Usually the spermatic cord and testis can be discerned, but U/S answers. Vericocoel is usually easier, a bag of worms, and then routine hernia.
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Scrotal ultrasound

Will give the answer.

In brief: Scrotal ultrasound

Will give the answer.
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Eric Wang
Radiology

In brief: Ultrasound

A hydrocele is a benign collection of fluid in the scrotum, surrounding the testis.
Testicular cancer generally presents with a solid, palpable mass in the testis itself, although lymphoma of the testes can present as generally enlarged testes. Ultrasound can differentiate the two, and is much more sensitive than physical exam. Ask your doctor.

In brief: Ultrasound

Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Eric Wang

In brief: Age/situation/US

The DX of hydrcoels are rather easy to separate from testicular cancer by physical exam with an ultrasound (sonar) study of the scrotal contents as a backup.
I see it frequently in infants when tc is not generally an issue. Giver this is your concern you should discuss it with your physician. Self DX of a life altering issue is not prudent.

In brief: Age/situation/US

Dr. Allen Seely
Agreed: Hydroceles are 'fluid filled' but think of cancer 'like a hard lump' they appear different on ultrasound
Dr. Vicken Poochikian