I plan to have eyelid surgery and was told to use neosporin would it be ok to use mupirocin 22 grams 2%?

Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Why use either?

I assume you mean cosmetic eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty.
) it is virtually impossible for these incisions to become infected because of the excellent blood supply. Many ointments are not approved for use around the eye. Many people develop allergies to neomycin (in neosporin.) Mupirocin is expensive and generally used when MRSA is a consideration. I would ask why you need either of these.

In brief: Why use either?

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Scott Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Eye antibiotic

As an ophthalmologist, i typically prescribe ophthalmic eye ointment after eyelid surgery.
It is ok to to get these in the eye where as Mupirocin and neosporin are not formulated for the eye, so caution should be used around the eye.

In brief: Eye antibiotic

Dr. Scott Goldstein
Dr. Scott Goldstein
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Either is ok

They are both topical antibacterial creams/ointments.
..If recommended by your doc to use on the wound after surgery, either one should be ok..

In brief: Either is ok

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Nima Shemirani
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Eyelid surgery

Dear health27, this should not be a problem, just check with your doctor to let him know.
Best, nima shemirani.

In brief: Eyelid surgery

Best, nima shemirani.
Dr. Nima Shemirani
Dr. Nima Shemirani
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery