Sudden sore/swollen throat for 1 day. Have excess saliva. Slight runny nose and chest congestion. Any ideas as what it may be?

Viral infection. Swollen throat, runny nose, and respiratory congestion are signs of respiratory viral infection, usually caused by adenovirus and rhino virus. Strep throat is less likely with the combination of these symptoms. See your doctor if symptoms continue.
Probable. Upper Respiratory infection. For significant sore throat with swollen tonsils / lymph nodes – see physician & get a strep throat test/ culture. If you have Strep Throat, antibiotic therapy is imperative to prevent future complications. Consider Tylenol or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Saltwater gargles: Mix 1 tsp salt in 8 oz warm water – gargle several times a day. .