When I run, by mile 6 or 7 my middle toes burn and hurt with each foot strike. I wear good shoes with "met" pads. What else can I do?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: See foot specialist

Esp. If you're new to mid foot strike running, and if your'e running in newtons, it may be your toes flexing over the met pads on the impact.
Try a different pair of "mid foot strike" designed running shoes. You might also find a knowledgable running trainer to analyze your stride. If it persists, see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet.

In brief: See foot specialist

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. J. patrick Tokarz

In brief: Evaluate

See your personal provider to further evaluate the cause.

In brief: Evaluate

Dr. J. patrick Tokarz
Dr. J. patrick Tokarz
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Are you sure that your shoes are large enough? The further you run, your feet swell and therefore, many recommendations are that running time over 1 hour should be in shoes 1/2 size larger than your normal size. As Dr. Tokarz says, seek a knowledgeable trainer or specialized running store for personalized fitting.
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine

In brief: Consider neuroma

This may be a morton's neuroma.
It is an enlarged nerve bundle that may become compressed between the 3rd/4th or 2nd/3rd metatarsal heads, causing numbness and burning in the toes. For rapid relief, i usually try an ultrasound-guided steroid injection. This can relieve symptoms, but also can be diagnostic as well.

In brief: Consider neuroma

This may be a morton's neuroma.
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: Good shoes/supports

You may be wearing good shoes, but are they the right shoes.
Find the best running store in your area and check out your options. A good motion control shoe along with an extra arch support can solve a lot of problems. Replace your shoes on a regular basis (300-400 miles). If problems persist see your sports medicine podiatrist. Aapsm.Org dr l.

In brief: Good shoes/supports

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine