Recurring sebaceous cyst in earlobe. Why is my brother's doctor saying surgery to remove earlobe and not just the cyst and the sac of the cyst?

Dr. Kenneth Dembny
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Ear Lobe Cyst

I don't know the specifics of this problem, the size of the cyst, nor what the ear lobe looks like.
But if the size and shape of the ear lobe appears relatively normal, then it would seem appropriate to remove the cyst with preservation of as much of the ear lobe as possible.

In brief: Ear Lobe Cyst

Dr. Kenneth Dembny
Dr. Kenneth Dembny
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: Not sure.

I've removed hundreds of cysts from earlobes, and never had to remove the earlobe itself, even when the cyst was very large.
I'm not sure why your brother's doctor would tell you that.

In brief: Not sure.

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern