Mother had breast cancer at 54 and grandmother had pancreatic cancer at 70. My insurance won't cover the brca testing. What do I do? It's $4000!

Test Mom First. Brca testing is reserved for women who are at significant risk for the hereditary type of breast cancer. While it is possible that your mom is brca (+), the odds are less than 10% unless she was under 45 at diagnosis, other family members had breast or ovarian ca, had bilateral-or "triple negative" breast ca, etc. Either way, it is best to test your mom first; if she's (-), no need to be tested.
Please discuss . Increased screening tests with your doc like blood work and scans that may be covered and the supeme court just ruled they do not have a monopoloy on that test so in the next few years other companies will most likely be able to offer similar tests and the price will be much cheaper !
Exam. I would suggest seeing a surgeon for a breast exam. Get a baseline mammogram at age 35 and then yearly at 40. One could also consider getting a MRI of the breasts the same time you get your first mammogram. Just a consideration. Hope this helps.
Genetic counselor. See a genetic counselor if you haven't already. And don't be too stressed! we already know your risk for breast cancer is higher because of your mom. So start preventive measures including exercise, reduce alcohol (less than 4 drinks a week), keep your weight down, do self breast exams, and remind your doctors about your family history. That's more important than genetic testing for you!