How can pneumonia be prevented?

Vaccination, hygiene. Hand washing and getting the pneumonia vaccine (and getting your children vaccinated) reduce your chances of getting pneumonia. The pneumonia vaccine covers only some strains of one species of bacterium (streptococcus), but it covers the worst actors.
Use neosporin to nos. As soon as you get cold start applying neosporin with a drop of oregano oil (pungent) and apply to nostril both for a week will prevent viral, bacterial and fungal inf or pneumonia.
Diet. Hygiene is so important. Other ideas include a "clean" diet rich in fresh foods and avoiding junk and processed foods. A healthy immune system can prevent many problems. Cod liver oil and probiotics can be helpful. Elderberry twice a week as a prevention also can be helpful. Elderberry helps prevent the flu..Made from sambucous it is good for mucous.