I had a midface lift 8 weeks ago. I got buccal or zygomoticbranch injury. Now, my cheek and the corner of the lip have become slightly droopy and I have got a weak smile onthe right side. Should I get an EMG test done for these nerves?

Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Should resolve

Sorry you are experiencing facial weakness after elective surgery.
While there are exceptions to every good rule, facial nerve injuries are rare, and when they happen better than 90% resolve in a few months. It is too soon for an emg, because no matter the results, continued observation is still likely the best treatment. Keep in close contact with your surgeon, and monitor any progress or lack of.

In brief: Should resolve

Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Earl Ferguson
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Too soon

Although injury to the buccal and zygomatic branches are less common, they do occur. The good news is that there is a great deal of redundancy in those nerves through multiple branches.
Permanent injury is rare, and most weakness resolves in 3-4 months.

In brief: Too soon

Dr. Earl Ferguson
Dr. Earl Ferguson

In brief: Could assist

Emg studies will demonstrate whether problem involves outer or inner nerve function, and can illustrate whether nerve regrowth is occurring in the muscles.

In brief: Could assist