What are the realistic chance of a 22 year old to get throat cancer? I have this minor ache in my throat only noticeable when I swallow hard

Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Possible

Check it out anyway with your family doctor and perhaps with ENT (ear nose and throat) specialist as well -- do you smoke?

In brief: Possible

Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Although it is possible, luckily , it is not very common. please see your doctor to rule out other more common things like a gastroesophageal reflux disease ( GERD), inflammation on the throat etc.
Dr. Eric Wang
Radiology

In brief: Extremely rare

...But anything is possible.
No need to worry, but get checked out by a doctor if it doesn't go away. There are other possible causes which might be able to be taken care of.

In brief: Extremely rare

...But anything is possible.
Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Eric Wang
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

In brief: Unlikely, but...

Throat cancer is rare in young people, but there are unusual head-and-neck tumors that affect young people.
More likely causes are tonsil irritation or mono, gerd, post-nasal drip. Get checked by your doc so you can eliminate the fear of the unknown. And if you are afraid of cancer, do not smoke or use tobacco products.

In brief: Unlikely, but...

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Marsha Davis