I have a sharp throbbing pain under my finger nail that is touch and temperature sensitive, what could this be?

Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Fingernail pain
The throbbing pain under the fingernail could be due to the pressure building between the nail and the nail bed, possibly due to bleeding under the nail (sublingual hematoma) or infection of the skin surrounding the nail (paronychia).
It would be wise to see a doctor for evaluation.

In brief: Fingernail pain
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Difficult diagnosis
Might be herpes but not being able to examine the area makes this difficult to exclude slivers of foreign material which might have gotten under the nail, or a variety of other entities.

In brief: Difficult diagnosis
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Vikram Patel