I am a 5'7" 158 pound female. I'm looking to lose 10 pounds. Is a 1600 calorie diet good for that?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Maybe
Losing weight is a matter of using up more calories than you take in.
Exercise is a major component and should be balanced by modulating your diet. Eat 3 small meals, give up all snacks and sugar-containing soft drinks, walk or run several miles a day, and engage in toning exercises and you will lose weight.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Swati Avashia
A good rule of thumb is that if you decrease your daily intake of calories by 500 you will lose one pound a week. Keep a log is really helpful. This is a good site for logging calories for free: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine
In brief: It depends
It depends on how active you are.
As a ballpark number, most people with average activity need about 10 calories (actually kcals) per day per pound of body weight to maintain their weight. More if they are more active. So, with average activity, 1600 calories would keep your 158 lbs stable. I would increase exercise and/or decrease calories by another 300-500 kcals / day.

In brief: It depends
It depends on how active you are.
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Jane Van Dis