What causes swelling in the knee? I had surgery over 1 year ago and my knee is still very swollen? I had plica removal and think I have atrophy? Expla

Dr. Mena Mesiha
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Inflammation

In a 40+ year old patient with prior surgery for plica/chondroplasty the possible reasons for the swelling are: 1) infection, 2) cartilage damage, and 3) mechanical symptoms from a torn meniscus.
It is difficult to get more specific without more information, a physical exam and testing as indicated; however, I do think you should be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. Mena Mesiha
Dr. Mena Mesiha
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine