Can lymph nodes under the jaw n in the posterior triangle enlarge after wisdom tooth extraction? Ben 5 weeks since the removal MRI said non enlarged reactive lymph nodes how long should it take?

Dr. Holly Maes

In brief: You Bet!

Your mouth is very full of bacteria, and then you had 4 big holes made in your jaw/gumline.
Your body did what it is supposed to do by kicking the lymph nodes in the area into action to prevent bacteria from getting into your system. It can take 3-6 months for them to do their thing and go back down to normal size.

In brief: You Bet!

Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Varies

Lymph nodes clean up parts of our bodies for a living.
When they do, they can become enlarged and sometimes may stay that way for a long time. This will vary with the causes, whether they were completely eliminated, etc.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. John Vravick
You can notice some swelling of the lymph node areas after wisdom tooth extraction. You should see improvement by at least six weeks.!
Dr. William Jakavick
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Enlargened lymph nod

Lymph nodes can be swollen under any circumstance where inflammation or infection are involved, once situation is resolved however they should return to relatively normal size in several days.

In brief: Enlargened lymph nod

Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: It happened to me

This is not really an answer as much as a "sharing".
I differ from you in gender, age and teeth extracted but, shortly after, i noticed a jaw area swelling. The dentist referred to an ent. He did antibiotic tx & advised a 6mo wait. Then he did a biopsy that erroneously said thyroid ca. Then another w/ confusing results led to surgery for better dx. It all was benign but it took a long time. Luck!

In brief: It happened to me

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Adam Smith