I'm 65, thin, exercise, but suffer from cervic. Spondy; arthritis in lower back region & knuckles. Does arthritis tend to lower life expectancy?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: I doubt it

I you have no evidence of ankylosing spondylitis then you probable have osteo arthritis (oa) which may incapacitate you or other pts to the point of requiring replacement of joints like knee or hip later on in life but do not afect other organs, so life expectancy is not compromised.
Complications from surgery or immunoregulators used for other arthritides may lower life expectancy.

In brief: I doubt it

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Perhaps

Osteoarthritis itself is very common.
Once you have progressive joint impairment, it can lead to significant functional limitations and being less physically active can lead to diseases which can affect your life span. I advise working with a physiatrist to determine why your spine and joints are being affected. Many times there is wear and tear due to muscle imbalances and this is preventable.

In brief: Perhaps

Osteoarthritis itself is very common.
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: NO

No worries: live a healthy lifestyle to prolong life expectancy.
Smoking alone knocks off 10-15 years! arthritis 'just comes with the territory' with aging. If we get old enough we develop osteoarthritis of spine and joints. 'we all wear out' but there are things you can do: keep exercising & otc meds like glucosamine have been shown to help. Be careful with long-term anti-inflammatories.

In brief: NO

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely