I have a sore throat and my tonsils seem swollen.. I just got over something similar where my throat hurt and I lost my voice. Wht is this? Wht to do

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: Tonsillitis
Swollen (enlarged) tonsils are a sign of tonsillitis.
You may have a strep throat or a viral 'pharyngitis'. The only way to be sure is to get rapid strep test and if positive get treatment. If the rapid test is negative a throat culture may be sent and come back positive in a 'few days'. A viral infection does not require antibiotics. Laryngitis is usually a viral infection. Please keep hydrated.

In brief: Tonsillitis
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
2 comments
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Great answer. Wishing you'all the very best.
Dr. Patrick Melder
If you are having recurrent issues with your throat with change in your voice - consider acid reflux as a cause as well.
Dr. Arthur Vecchiotti
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Tonsillitis
There are other forms of bacterial tonsillitis that would require antibiotics.
A negative rapid strep test is not always telling you that you have a virus. You might need antibiotics even with a negative strep test. Be careful here. White spots on the tonsils should also be considered infection.

In brief: Tonsillitis
Dr. Arthur Vecchiotti
Dr. Arthur Vecchiotti
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine