Why do people with a lung infection cough a lot?

Inflammation. Inflammation in the lung triggers reflexes that cause cough. Also mucous caused by the inflammation does the same. The lungs are trying to clear the germs and debris.
Reflex... Cough is a reflex designed to rid the airways of infection. It prevents the infection from spreading to the rest of the lung and to other parts of the body. So, in bronchitis, the person is coughing in an attempt to get rid of the presumed infection. In chronic bronchitis, no infection exists but the body can't tell the difference so cough ensues.