Are psa tests for men over 75 necessary?

Dr. James Lin
Urology

In brief: Here are some ...

The controversy of routine PSA test has been around since its discovery (1970) but intensified drastically especially over the past 6 yrs.
To get a glance at this dispute, please, at least, read the first 3 articles on http://formefirst.com/FreeInfoProstate.html. In my practice, I wouldn't test PSA annually for men >75; but I would do it if they're still in "good" health + abnormal rectal exam +

In brief: Here are some ...

Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin
Dr. Terence Chapman
Urology - Oncology

In brief: No

Not recommended in general but in special cases it might be reasonable.

In brief: No

Dr. Terence Chapman
Dr. Terence Chapman
Dr. James Krick
Urology

In brief: PSA

That is a very debated question.
I personally believe, as a urologist who treats prostate cancer, that it is irresponsible to ignore men above a certain age just because of there age. Men still get high grade, aggressive prostate cancer that causes a painful death. Just because many men with prostate cancer have low grade disease, doesn't mean we ignore everyone else. Get an annual psa test.

In brief: PSA

That is a very debated question.
Dr. James Krick
Dr. James Krick