26 years old I have androgentic alopecia my dermatologist prescribe me minoxidil 5%, propecia, (finasteride) can it stop and regrow my hair? Any side effect of it?

Dr. Emily Altman
Dermatology

In brief: Pattern hair loss

Both Minoxidil and Propecia (finasteride) are very helpful in keeping the hair you still have.
In 30-35% of men, there is significant hair regrowth. Most men get some regrowth. Side effects of Minoxidil are mostly local, such as irritation of scalp. Propecia (finasteride) blocks 5 Alpha reductase, enzyme that converts testosterone to dht. It may potentially but uncommonly have systemic side effects. Talk to your doctor.

In brief: Pattern hair loss

Dr. Emily Altman
Dr. Emily Altman