Is a spinal tap nessisary to diognose narcolepsy?Do I see nuerologist or sleep specialist?

Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: No

You can see a neurologist or a lung specialist.
Narcolepsy is not a rare condition and it is characterized by sudden unexpeceted deep sleep along with relaxation of muscles so as to become imobile in its most intense form but less intense varieties are more common without total loss of muscle activity. I will need a sleep study.

In brief: No

Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Dr. Marcel Hungs
A spinal tap for now is in most cases not necessary to diagnose narcolepsy
Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: Several answers

No, a spinal tap is not necessary to diagnose narcolepsy.
The amount of hypocretin (or orexin) is low or absent in the spinal fluid of patients with narcolepsy, but the diagnosis can be made by a less painful sleep study. Your pcp can start the evaluation, but will probably need to be referred to a sleep center for diagnosis.

In brief: Several answers

Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
If you have narcolepsy, I hope that you can find a doctor who can help you with treatment options. Good luck!
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology

In brief: NARCOLEPSY DIAGNOSIS

A sleep specialist would be the best thing to do.
There are certain tests that measure the electrical activity in the brain. These, as far as i know, are not invasive. Examining spinal fluid is a new diagnostic test for narcolepsy.

In brief: NARCOLEPSY DIAGNOSIS

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Jerome Litt