3 years ago I tore my rotator cuff. This weekend I am experiencing sharp pain with movement. Is this arthritis?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Shoulder pain OAvRCT

To me most likely is the rotator cuff.
Regardless. Intraarticular cortisone injections are helpful temporarily in both scenarios. An x ray may assess how bad is the arthritis (acromioclavicular?). An MRI may see the rotator cuff for tears or inflammation.

In brief: Shoulder pain OAvRCT

To me most likely is the rotator cuff.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Mike Moore

In brief: Possible...

You could also have an injury to some of the supporting structures in you shoulder, like the labrum. If you are having sharp pain in your shoulder that interferes with your daily activities, or bothers you more than a day or so, you really should be seen by your doctor.

In brief: Possible...

Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine

In brief: Many reasons

Shoulder pain can be referred from the neck or it could be locally from the shoulder. Common local problems include but not limited to spasms, arthritis in the ball and socket or ac joint, bursitis, impingement, rotator cuff re-tear, labral tears, biceps problems, stiffness, and instability.
See an orthopedist to diagnose the probelm.

In brief: Many reasons

Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine