When my 8 month old cries for no reason, I just rub her neck and middle of her back and she stops crying..It seems like shes in pain, is this normal?

In brief: ? no reason ?

Seems to me she knows how to get your attention and crying is effective.
It makes you look into what is happening with her. I'm not sure that the neck/back massage is doing anything more than tell her you care. It might, and if this is always the same and the neck rub is the only thing that works, discuss it with her doc.Some babies just require more attention than others.

In brief: ? no reason ?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me explain

8 month old crying? In my mind it must be organic cause, there are many, when you rup that area you give her soothing effect, or it few minute for that reason to disappear, for ex colic pain some irritation of the bowel? I hoped i did help you.

In brief: Let me explain

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: I agree with Dr. F.

From 6 months on, typically-developing babies exhibit learned behaviors.
Her cryoing elicits a pleasurable response from you. Positive or negative attention reinforces behaviors. Talk to her when she cries. Hold up your arms & ask, "Up? Do you want up?" This promotes reciprocal communication & interaction. If you choose to ignore the crying consistently, it'll get worse at 1st, then go away.

In brief: I agree with Dr. F.

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham