I have a fear of getting sick. When I feel sick, I tend to freak out. My dad says that I am making my self sick by freaking out. Is that true?

Dr. Leonard Lado
In brief: Fear of getting sick
Your fear is type of catastrophic thinking characteristic of a condition called generalized anxiety but requires many other symptoms to meet criteria.
Being sick also implies a loss of control of your daily routines and schedule. The fact that you are asking this question implies that you have recognize this as a problem and want to change. Your type of thinking can have a snowball effect.

In brief: Fear of getting sick
Dr. Leonard Lado
Dr. Leonard Lado
Pathology
In brief: Life experience
Moliere's hypochondriac patient was cured only by becoming a physician himself.
Some folks have an irrational fear of disease as others do of flying. As you learn more about your body through life and reading, you'll learn what needs to be seen and what doesn't. If your fear still seems irrational, brief cognitive-behavioral / educational treatment as a phobia can help.

In brief: Life experience
Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: Not Exactly
The key is that your brain is connected to your body and can influence the course of illness.

In brief: Not Exactly
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: CBT for some works
In contrast to other forms of psychotherapy, cognitive therapy is usually more focused on the present, more time-limited, and more problem-solving oriented.
In addition, patients learn specific skills that they can use for the rest of their lives. These skills involve identifying distorted thinking, modifying beliefs, relating to others in different ways, and changing behaviors.

In brief: CBT for some works
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Jack Hinkle